The Naturalmat story started on the high seas some twenty years ago. Both keen sailors, our founders Mark & Peter struggled to understand why mattresses on boats were so uncomfortable. So, on the banks of the River Exe, they began hand making natural fibre mattresses that were breathable, fabulously comfortable - and fitted neatly into a boat's awkward spaces.
A focus on making mattresses to fit neatly into the awkward spaces of a boat was a founding principle of Naturalmat, and is a service which we still proudly offer on our entire range of mattresses for the bedroom and the nursery.
Made To Measure Mattress Guide
A made to measure option is available throughout our entire range of mattresses, and it’s an incredibly easy process to follow. Find out how via these simple guides:
If you’ve got an antique, homemade or otherwise peculiarly-sized bed, and you can’t seem to find a mattress to fit - we’ve got you covered. All we need from you are some measurements, and here’s how to get them:
To measure an existing mattress:
1. Ensure that the mattress is uncovered and easily accessible. If you can’t do this on your own, seek assistance.
2. Using a measuring tool such as a pocket tape measure, take a measurement (in cm) along the width of the mattress from corner to corner.
3. Repeat the previous step by taking a measurement (in cm) along the length of the mattress from corner to corner.
Please note that due to their fillings, the depths of our mattresses are not customisable. Please see the table below for mattress depth measurements.
|Natural Fibre Mattresses||Pocket Sprung Mattresses|
|Natural Teen||17cm||Teen Spring||17cm|
4. Once you have these measurements, visit our website and select your chosen mattress, in the size above the measurements taken. For example, if your mattress measures 140cm x 190cm, order a mattress in King size 150cm x 200cm. (This is so that we have just the right amount of material to cut your new mattress from).
5. Beneath the size selection, select "MTM - Yes" from the dropdown, and enter your required dimensions in the box provided.
6. Once you are happy to proceed, place your order as normal - and our team of expert craftspeople will make your mattress to the exact dimensions you provide.
If you are measuring a bed base instead of a mattress, follow this guide measuring the internal dimensions of the bed - within the head end, foot end and side rails. Once you have these exact measurements, deduct 1cm from each to allow space for sheets.
Made to Measure Four-Poster Mattress
The inset corners of some four-poster bed frames can make finding a mattress difficult - but it’s certainly not a problem for us at Naturalmat.
In our Devon workshop we can make mattresses to fit just about any four-poster bed - all we need are some measurements. To measure your four-poster bed frame for a new mattress, simply follow these steps:
1. Measure the length of the bed by taking an internal measurement (in cm) along the slats from the headboard to the foot end.
2. Measure the width of the bed by taking a measurement (in cm) along the slats from one side rail to the other.Please ensure that you are measuring the full length and width of the slats, not the internal distance between the posts of the bed.
3. Measure (in cm) the length and width of one of the posts, as seen in the diagram above.
4. Finally, take a measurement of the inside angle of the post - most are 90º.
The posts on most four-poster beds are of a uniform size - however, please check this for your own bed. Please provide specific measurements for each post if they are not uniform.
5. Once you have these measurements, format them as follows: 1. Mattress length, 2. Mattress width, 3. Post length, 4. Post width, 5. Post angle.
For example - a king-sized four-poster with 10cm deep, 90º posts would be formatted in the following way:
Mattress Length: 200cm
Mattress Width: 150cm
Post Length: 10cm
Post Width: 10cm
Post Angle: 90º
6. With these measurements to hand, visit our website and select your chosen mattress, in the size above the measurements taken. For example, if your mattress measures 140cm x 190cm, order a mattress in King size 150cm x 200cm. (This is so that we have just the right amount of material to cut your new mattress from).
7. Beneath the size selection, select "MTM - Yes" from the dropdown, and enter your required dimensions in the box provided.
8. Once you are happy to proceed, place your order as normal - and our team of expert craftspeople will make your mattress to the exact dimensions of your four-poster bed.
Mattresses for Boats
As mentioned, Naturalmat started out building mattresses for the high seas. Since then, Naturalmat has grown to produce mattresses for the nursery, for hotels, and for the bedroom. Over twenty years later, Naturalmat Marine still lives on, regularly designing and building the highest-quality made to measure mattresses for the smallest of sailboats to the largest, most advanced superyachts.
To find out more, visit the Naturalmat Marine website, email on email@example.com, or give our friendly team a call on 01392 877 247.